“CALL JULIE BEFORE YOU DIG – DIAL 8-1-1!”
Do You Need a Building Permit?
PERMIT APPLICATION<—–click to download
PLEASE NOTE: Many Port Barrington residents are members of Homeowners Associations; therefore residents may need approval from their Homeowners Association Board prior to applying for permits.
A permit (permit checklist) is NOT required for the following:
- Ordinary maintenance and minor repair
- Soffit, fascia, decorative trim and gutters
- Replacement windows and doors of the same size
- Painting, masonry, tuck pointing and repair
- Light fixture or receptacle (existing replacement)
- Interior finishes, decorating, painting, etc.
- Exterior plantings, gardens, and retaining walls that are less than 2’ in height
- Plumbing fixtures (existing replacement)
- Swimming pools above ground less than 24″ deep (with no additional electrical pool equipment)
A permit (permit checklist) IS required for the following:
- All new construction, additions, remodeling, framing, etc.
- Structural alterations & repairs
- Electrical wiring or electrical additions/modifications
- Mechanical equipment, new or alterations
- Siding Replacement
- Plumbing modifications
- HVAC equipment and water heater replacement
- New fireplace or improvements to existing
- Sidewalks, patios, walks, driveways, fences, etc.
- Sheds, accessory buildings, appendages, etc.
- Basements, attics, porches, decks, etc.
- Swimming pools over 24″ depth and/or with additional electrical pool equipment
- Roofing, re-roofing, roof modifications, etc.
- Piers, seawalls & shoreline restoration
- Relocation of structures
- Signs or storage provisions
- Site development (moving/removing/adding fill)
- Underground work
- Tree removal (Tree Removal Application )
PLEASE NOTE: The above information is general in nature and not all inclusive. We encourage you to check with the Building and Zoning Officer (Phone Numbers) before starting any projects. Also, it is advised that you check with your Homeowners Association prior to applying for a permit as covenants may be in place that further govern building alterations.
Construction Hours Are:
- Weekdays 7am – 9pm
- Saturday 8am – 6pm
- Sundays 10am – 6pm
New Single Family
Minimum Floor Area:
- 1,500 sq. ft. N.C. Zone
- 1,500 sq. ft. R. Zone
- 1,800 sq. ft. E. Zone
- Side setback – 7.5 ft.
- Front setback – 30 ft.
- Rear setback – 20ft.
- The construction site shall be maintained in a clean, safe manner without debris
- Stockpile all construction material in orderly piles and fenced if required by inspector
- No excavation shall be left open without proper fencing and/or site supervision
- No construction materials or assembly components are allowed in easements, streets. or right of ways. Noise abatement shall be observed
- 10 ft. from principal building
- Front setback – 30 ft.
- Side setback – 3 ft.
- Rear setback – 3ft.
Fence Height- To view fence ordinance and schematic, click Tree Removal Application
- Front 2′-6″ open type
- Side 4′-0″
- Rear 5′-0
- Construction members to face owner
Before Excavation Call J.U.L.I.E. Dial 811 1-800-892-0123
Affordable Housing Plan : click here